Helps dissolve other soluble ingredients. Helps the mechanical process of cleaning teeth in mouthwashes.
A chemical compound which adds odours to dental products
Benzyl alcohol is used as a general solvent for inks, waxes, shellacs, paints, lacquers, and epoxy resin coatings. Thus it can be used in paint strippers, especially when combined with compatible viscosity enhancers to encourage the mixture to cling to painted surfaces.
It oxidizes rapidly in healthy individuals to benzoic acid, conjugated with glycine in the liver, and excreted as hippuric acid. Very high concentrations can result in toxic effects including respiratory failure, vasodilation, hypotension, convulsions, and paralysis.
Benzyl alcohol is toxic to neonates and is associated with the gasping syndrome.
Benzyl alcohol is severely toxic and highly irritating to the eye.Pure benzyl alcohol produces corneal necrosis.
Benzyl alcohol is not considered to be a carcinogen, and no data are available regarding teratogenic or reproductive effects.
It is thought that calcium glycerophosphate may act through a variety of mechanisms to produce an anti-caries effect , These include increasing acid-resistance of the enamel, increasing enamel mineralization, modifying plaque, acting as a pH-buffer in plaque, and elevating Calcium and phosphate levels.
When used as an electrolyte replacement, calcium glycerophosphate donates Calcium and inorganic phosphate. Calcium glycerophosphate is preferable to calcium phosphate due to its increased solubility. Compared to combination calcium gluconate and potassium phosphate, calcium glycerophosphate produces greater phosphate retention which allows for increased Calcium retention and ultimately greater incorporation of the ions into bone structure
By FDA, calcium glycerophosphate is considered a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food ingredient as a nutrient supplement (source of calcium or phosphorus), or in food products such as gelatins, puddings, and fillings. It is also present in dental or oral hygiene products due to its cariostatic effects.
The United States FDA considers citronellol as Generally recognized as safe. Citronellol is subject to restrictions on its use in perfumery, as some people may become sensitised to it, but the degree to which citronellol can cause an allergic reaction in humans is disputed
Cocamidopropyl betaine is used as a foam booster in shampoos. It is a medium-strength surfactant also used in bath products like hand soaps. It is also used in cosmetics as an emulsifying agent and thickener, and to reduce irritation purely ionic surfactants would cause. It also serves as an antistatic agent in hair conditioners, which most often does not irritate skin or mucous membranes. However, some studies indicate it is an allergen.
CAPB has been claimed to cause allergic reactions in some users, but a controlled pilot study has found that these cases may represent irritant reactions rather than true allergic reactions. Furthermore, results of human studies have shown that CAPB has a low sensitizing potential if impurities with amidoamine (AA) and dimethylaminopropylamine (DMAPA) are low and tightly controlled. Other studies have concluded that most apparent allergic reactions to CAPB are more likely due to amidoamine. Cocamidopropyl betaine was voted 2004 Allergen of the Year by the American Contact Dermatitis Society.
Geraniol is a moderate skin irritant and can cause allergies. Exposed to air, its oxidation products are more irritant and allergenic. Otherwise geraniol is considered as rather safe for humans, domestic animals and the environment.
Glycerol (also called glycerine or glycerin) is a simple polyol compound.
Glycerin is mildly antimicrobial and antiviral and is an FDA approved treatment for wounds. The Red Cross reports that an 85% solution of glycerin shows bactericidal and antiviral effects, and wounds treated with glycerin show reduced inflammation after roughly 2 hours. Due to this it is used widely in wound care products, including glycerin based hydrogel sheets for burns and other wound care. It is approved for all types of wound care except third degree burns, and is used to package donor skin used in skin grafts. There is no topical treatment approved for third degree burns, and so this limitation is not exclusive to glycerin.
Glycerol is used in medical, pharmaceutical and personal care preparations, often as a means of improving smoothness, providing lubrication, and as a humectant.
In toothpastes Glycerol holds onto water and prevents the toothpaste from drying out in the tube, and also prevents dryness in the mouth during brushing.
It can help reduce bacterial activity by reducing the available water activity and therefore has a protective action against tooth decay. Glycerin does not damage gums or tooth enamel.
Glycerin as ingredient of foods,cosmetic products ,toothpaste and ...may cause : Upset stomach, Stomach cramps, Gas, Diarrhea, Burning, Rectal irritation.
Glycerin does not damage gums or tooth enamel.
it can cause allergic reactions.
Ingestion of microcrystalline hydroxyapatite (the form of calcium found in bone) produces less of an acute spike in blood calcium levels compared to soluble calcium salts typically used in standard supplements, and thus may be less likely to increase vascular calcification and coronary risk.
It is not known if honeysuckle, in general, is safe. However, an intravenous preparation that includes honeysuckle has been used safely in children for up to 7 days.
Stomach upset and diarrhea may occur. Taking this product with a meal helps to reduce these effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
The takeaway. Silicon dioxide exists naturally within the earth and our bodies. There isn't yet evidence to suggest it's dangerous to ingest as a food additive, but more research is needed on what role it plays in the body. Chronic inhalation of silica dust can lead to lung disease.
Studies suggest that sodium benzoate may increase your risk of inflammation, oxidative stress, obesity, ADHD, and allergies. It may also convert to benzene, a potential carcinogen, but the low levels found in beverages are deemed safe.
In the United States, sodium benzoate is designated as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration. The International Programme on Chemical Safety found no adverse effects in humans at doses of 647–825 mg/kg of body weight per day.
The Cosmetics Database finds sodium lauroyl sarcosinate to be a moderate hazard ingredient, primarily because of its potential to be contaminated with nitrosamine (a known carcinogen) and because of its classification as a penetration enhancer, which may alter skin structure and allow other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin. Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate should not be used in cosmetics and personal care products in which N-nitroso compounds may be formed (CosmeticsInfo.org).
Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is not expected to be potentially toxic or harmful, and has a low oral toxicity. It is not found to be mutagenic, irritating or sensitizing, although as stated above, it may enhance the penetration of other ingredients through the skin.
In the 1970s, studies performed on laboratory rats found an association between consumption of high doses of saccharin and the development of bladder cancer. However, further study determined that this effect was due to a mechanism that is not relevant to humans.Epidemiological studies have shown no evidence that saccharin is associated with bladder cancer in humans.The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) originally classified saccharin in Group 2B ("possibly carcinogenic to humans") based on the rat studies, but downgraded it to Group 3 ("not classifiable as to the carcinogenicity to humans") upon review of the subsequent research.
Saccharin has no food energy and no nutritional value. It is safe to consume for individuals with diabetes.
People with sulfonamide allergies can experience allergic reactions to saccharin, as it is a sulfonamide derivative and can cross-react. Saccharin in toothpaste can cause burning sensations, swelling, and rashes of the mouth and lips in sensitive individuals.
For most people, eating foods that contain xanthan gum appears to be completely safe.
While many foods contain it, it only makes up about 0.05–0.3% of a food product.
Moreover, a typical person consumes less than 1 gram of xanthan gum per day. Amounts 20 times that have been proven to be safe.
In fact, the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives assigned it an acceptable daily intake of “not specified.” It gives this designation when food additives have a very low toxicity, and levels in foods are so small that they do not pose a health hazard.
But people should avoid inhaling xanthan gum. Workers who handled it in powder form were found to have flu-like symptoms and nose and throat irritation.
So even though you may eat many foods containing it, your intake is so small that you’re unlikely to experience either benefits or negative side effects.
Xylitol is generally well tolerated, but some people experience digestive side effects when they consume too much. The sugar alcohols can pull water into your intestine or get fermented by gut bacteria. This can lead to gas, bloating and diarrhea.